Thursday 26 May 2016

Idioms and Phrasal Verbs (Part-11)


drive sb/sth off=to force sb/sth go back or away
We drove off the attackers.
give / lend a helping hand=to help sb
Would you please lend me your hand.
get sb going= make sb angry or worried
Don’t try to get me going.
get across to sb; get sth across=to be communicated or understood
I am not getting your ideas across.
get ahead of= make progress
I am trying to get ahead of them.
get along=to leave a place
When his father came he got along.
get on with sb;
get on together;
get along together;
get along with sb=to have a friendly relation with sb
I got along with that young lady after seeing her in the party.
get around=to move from place to place
We got around the world.
get at sb=keep criticizing sb
Some people always get at others.
get at sb/sth=to reach sb/sth; to gain access to sb/sth
The trunk is locked up so I can’t get at it.
get at sth=to learn or find sth
It is very difficult to get at.
get away=have a holiday/vacation
We wanted to get away from the office for a few days.
get away from sth=to escape from sb or sth
You will not be able to get away from his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment