Newspaper is the people's parliament. Newspaper plays a vital role in the modern civilization. It is said to be the mirror of the world. We must have the habit of reading newspaper daily. It helps us to acquire general knowledge. Nobody can keep contact with the world outside without reading newspaper. Mere bookish knowledge is not sufficient in the struggle of life. A man who does not read newspaper daily is like a frog in a narrow well. Newspaper discusses various topics which have some educative values. So, we must have the habit of reading newspaper regularly as it is a great blessing of modern civilization.
Monday, 14 August 2017
Complete the sentences below
1. A storm is______________.
Ans: a natural disaster
2. Though it is uncertain,_________.
Ans: it generally happens in summer
3. It creates a scene which___________.
Ans: is very terrible and fearful
4. In a storm the wind __________wrecks great havoc upon our life and property.
Ans: blowing violently
5. Peals of thunder and ___________frighten the people.
Ans: flashes of lightning
6. After the storm people come out___________.
Ans: to see the effect of it
7. They get terrified to see the havoc_____________.
Ans: wrecked by the storm
8. It is known that storm is such a natural disaster____________.
Ans: that we cannot get rid of it
9. But we can minimize the loss_____________.
Ans: owing to it
10. We can save life and property to a great extent______________________________.
Ans: if we take precautionary measure against it
Monday, 31 July 2017
Completing sentences with clause/phrase
1. English _____________we should learn it.
Ans: being an international language
2. But ________________are indifferent to this language.
Ans: most of our students
3. As it is a foreign language______________.
Ans: most of the students find it difficult
4. _________it is an interesting language.
Ans: In fact
5. ______________they can certainly learn it.
Ans: If the students become sincere
6. ___________ they should practice it greatly.
Ans: At the same time
7. The students ________________cannot acquire command over this language.
Ans: who are idle and insincere
7. In the present context of globalization __________________is increasing day by day.
Ans: the importance of learning English
8. So it is essential for us to__________.
Ans: learn English
9. Our government is also trying _____________to make our students skilled in this language.
Ans: heart and soul
Monday, 15 May 2017
Nouns that name animals
Write the noun for the name of the animal and thing that make each of the following sounds
the purring of a cat
the barking of a dog
the trumpeting of an elephant
the roaring of a lion
the neighing of a horse
the croaking of a frog
the braying of a donkey
the grunting of a pig
the bleating of a sheep
the crowing of a cock
the cackling of a chicken
12. the howling of a wolf
the beating of a drum
the ringing of a bell
the tick of a clock
the slam of a door
the toot of a horn
the patter of raindrops
the clatter of the dishes
Nouns that name people
Write the noun for the name of the person who:
writes books author
flies an aeroplane pilot.
repairs cars mechanic
cares for people's teeth dentist
looks after ill people doctor
cares for sick people nurse
writes stories for newspapers journalist
looks after sheep shepherd
learns a trade novice
searches for new lands explorer
installs and mends water pipes plumber
sells fruit and vegetables green groacer
studies the stars astronomer
mends shoes cobbler
sells meat butcher
collects rubbish dustman
brings letters postman
digs for coal collier/ miner
catches fish fisherman
sells toothpaste, medicines and soap chandler
takes bus-fare bus-conductor
builds houses builder
cleans and look after school caretaker
owns farms farmer
carries luggage porter
sells sugar, tea and cereals grocer
paints pictures artist
makes suits tailor
drives a bus bus-driver